MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRIES
MTA has built strong expertise in the manufacturing and industrial sector helping clients set up their manufacturing plants, advising on operational issues and liquidation and winding up proceedings. In particular, MTA assists clients with:
- Reviewing lease agreements with local governments and the Ethiopian Industrial Park Development Corporation (IPDC).
- Drafting and reviewing construction, drilling, design and management contracts.
- Drafting sales, promotional, distribution and supplier agreements, employment contracts for managerial, non-managerial, temporary and permanent employees.
- Drafting and registering technology transfer agreements,
- Reviewing domestic and foreign loan agreements, shareholder loan agreements and security agreements.
- Advising on foreign exchange issues.
- Defending unfair competition, anti-competitive and price fixing claims by Ethiopian Trade Competition and Consumer Protection Authority (TCCPA) at the TCCPA competition tribunal.
- Defending claims of tax and customs duties violations by the Ethiopian Revenue and Customs Authority (ERCA).
- Interfacing with relevant regulatory agencies such as the Ethiopian Investment Commission, the IPDC, ERCA, TCCPA, federal and regional land, environmental, health and other bureaus.
Representational clients include:
- Heineken Breweries S.C, in connection with providing long-terms legal advisory services need in various sectors.
- Axreal Group, in connection with its establishment of a malting subsidiary, Boortmalt Ethiopia, in an industrial park in Ethiopia.
- Glaxo Smitho Pharmaceuticals (GSK), in connection with its operations and opportunities in Ethiopia.
- Frigorifico Boran Foods Plc, a subsidiary of Indian Allana Group, in connection with setting up and managing its meat processing plant in Ethiopia.
- Philip Van Heusen (PVH) Corp, in relation to its manufacturing and operational plant in Hawassa Industrial Park in Ethiopia.
- Export Trading Group, in connection with its investments and operations in Ethiopia
- Kanoria Chemicals and Industries, in connection with its setting up of a green field garment manufacturing plant, processing of external loans and other advisory services.
- Oxford Group, in connection with the tax claim made by ERCA and the court cases pending at various courts in Ethiopia
- Godrej East Africa Holdings, in connection with its potential investments in Ethiopia in the cosmetics sector.
- Royal Flora Holland PLC, in connection with its Ethiopian investments.
- Fives Cali-KCP Ltd, an Indian company in connection with tax claims made by the ERCA.
- Sentinel Steel PLC, a steel manufacturing plant engaged in the manufacturing of rebars in Ethiopia, in connection with its operational issues and issues with the Ethiopian Trade Competition and Consumer Protection Authority.