\MEKDES MEZGEBU | CONSULTANT AND ATTORNEY AT LAW
Mekdes Mezgebu is a consultant and attorney at law with over 10 years of experience in the legal field. Mekdes is licensed to practice at all federal courts of Ethiopia. At MTA, Mekdes particularly focuses on energy and infrastructure projects, project finance, PPP, merger and acquisition deals, investment and corporate laws. Mekdes has been involved as a senior associate in several transactions involving private sector development of power and energy, acquisition deals involving private equity firms and strategic investors. She also represents clients before judicial organs and administrative tribunals.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Ethiopian Women Lawyers Association
- 2008 Master of Laws [LLM] , Ohio Northern University, USA
- 2006 Bachelor of Laws [LLB], Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
June 2014 – PRESENT Consultant and Attorney-at-Law, Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
February 2016 Secondee, Linklaters LLC. London, United Kingdom
2013 – June 2014 Independent Researcher and Consultant, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Sept – Dec 2012 Part-time lecturer, Addis Ababa University, School of Law and Governance Studies,
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Oct. 2008 – 2012 Program Officer, United Nations Development Program (UNDP)-
Democratic Institutions program (DIP) based at the Ethiopian institution of the ombudsman
Jan 2010 – 2012 Program and International Relations Advisor, Office of the Chief Ombudsman
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Power & Energy
- Project Finance
- Infrastructure & PPP
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate & Investment Law
- Assisting the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in connection with the Scaling Solar Project, a project aiming to produce up-to 500MW solar energy power by private sector developers.
- Assisting ENEL Green Power, a leading global energy company, on the procurement of a 100MW Solar energy generation power in Metehara, Ethiopia
- Assisting clients in the potential PPP transaction involving the Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP) and Ethiopian Electric Utility (EEU) in connection with the building, constructing, financing and transferring electricity transmission and distribution lines.
- Acting for Persistent Energy Capital in relation to its potential investment in the solar energy sector in Ethiopia.
- Assisting Ansar Law Firm in relation to the development of project agreements in the hydro and wind power sectors.
- Advising a UK company in the potential acquisition of Afriflora, subsidiary of the largest private equity firm in the world – KKR.
- Advising Gebeya Media Inc, in connection with its corporate restructuring and investment expansion in Ethiopia.
- Assisting PVH Corp, in relation to its existing investments in the textile sector in Ethiopia.
- Acting for China Logistics in relation to its potential acquisition of the National Tobacco Enterprise.
- Advising Abraaj Group in connection with its potential acquisition of a health facility in Ethiopia,
- Advising Poten Environmental Group in relation to its potential acquisition of Israeli drip irrigation company – Netafim.
- Advising Kuramo Management Capital, in connection with its existing investments in Ethiopia.
- Advising Boortmalt Ethiopia, a leading French malting company, in its malting and manufacturing business in Ethiopia.
- Acting for DAL Group, a leading Sudanese dairy company, on its proposed investment in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Girl Effect Trading, a UK branding company on its existing projects in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Sentinel Steel Ethiopia in connection with its investment in the steel manufacturing sector.
- Advising EX-IM Global Investment on a potential investment in the Livestock sector and partnership with a local company.
- Advising the Clinton Foundation on a potential Last Mile Distribution pilot project in Ethiopia.
- Acting for YenePay Technology Services, a start-up technology company in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Blue Media PLC, a marketing and entertainment company, in relation to its various contractual agreements with clients.