MESFIN TAFESSE | PRINCIPAL ATTORNEY
Mesfin Tafesse is the founder and Principal Attorney of MTA. He has over 25 years of legal experience in the private, public, and civil society sectors in Ethiopia. Mr. Mesfin is a top-rated attorney with substantial experience representing multinational investors in sectors including power and energy, banking and finance, M&A, oil and gas and infrastructure. Mesfin is recognized by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and ILFR as Band I legal service provider in Ethiopia.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Ethiopian Lawyers’ Association
- 2001 Masters of Law (LL.M) in International Business Law, University of London
- 1989 Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Addis Ababa University
2007 – PRESENT Principal Attorney, Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
2003- 2007 Commissioner, Civil Service Commission
2001-2003 External Relations and Mobilization Director, Ministry of Capacity Building
2000-2000 Justice System Reform Program Co-director, Ministry of Capacity Building
1999-2001 Head of the Civil Cases Dept., the Ministry of Justice
1997-1999 Senior Prosecutor, Ministry of Justice
1993-1997 Judge/Senior Judge, Public Service Commission
1992-1993 Legal Service Head, Meher Fibre Products Company
1989-1992 Pleader, National Textiles Corporation
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Business & Investment Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Financing
- Power & Energy
- Acting for the International Finance Cooperation (IFC) in connection with the Scaling Solar Project aimed at generating 500MW solar energy.
- Acting for ENEL Green Power (ENEL) in its bid for the 100 MW Metehara Solar Photovoltaic Electricity Generating Facility Project (Project) as issued by the Ethiopian Electric Power.
- Acting for TetraTech, an American consulting firm, in relation to the implementation of the Power Africa project.
- Acting for Heineken Breweries in its investments and on-going transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG) and European Investment Bank (EIB in connection with their Investment in an Ethiopian technology company.
- Advising the Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation in the drafting of the Public Private Partnership Policy and Proclamation.
- Acting for BASF, largest chemical producer in the world, in relation to setting up a manufacturing plant in Ethiopia.
- Acting for or advising Goldman Sachs, Standard Chartered, Morgan Stanley, China Development Bank, China EXIM Bank, CAD Fund, ICICI, IDA South Africa,
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC), Deloitte, KPMG, Samsung Africa, Mastercard and Natixis on their banking, finance and project financing transactions in Ethiopia.
- Facilitating the SAB Miller and AB InBev merger notification and approval at the Ethiopian Trade Competition and Consumer Protection Authority.
- Acting for the Vasari group, Veris Investments, 54 Capital, the Abraaj Group, Shultz Global Investments, Essilor Middle East Ltd., IFFCO Group, Zoscales Partners and on their various merger and acquisition transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for YARA, Newmont Corp., Allana Potash Corp, Israel Chemical Ltd, Sheba Exploration Ltd. (Centamin), Stratex East Africa Ltd., Kefi Minerals, Marathon Oils, Ethio-Potash Corporation, Gemfields, NovaPotash Plc, Schulumberger, Fura Gems, Vale on their mining and exploration transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Frigorifico Boran Foods Plc, Export Trading Group, KBA Metal Print, Kanoria Chemicals and Industries, Universal Plastic, Axreal Group, Oxford Group, Godrej in connection with their manufacturing businesses in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Starwood Hotels, Hilton World Wide, Four Seasons on their investments in the tourism and hospitality sectors in Ethiopia.
- Representing Wilmar International in investment and corporate advisory and court proceedings.