MESFIN TAFESSE | PRINCIPAL ATTORNEY
Mesfin has more than 30 years of legal experience in the private, public, and civil society sectors in Ethiopia. Mesfin is a top-rated attorney with substantial experience representing multinational investors in sectors including M&A, banking and finance, power and energy, oil and gas and infrastructure. He is recognized by Chambers & Partners as Band I legal service provider in Ethiopia and also recognized in Legal 500 and ILFR1000 in Ethiopia.
- 2000-2001: Masters of Law (LL.M) in International Business Law, University of London
- 1984-1989: Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Addis Ababa University
2007 – to Date Principal Attorney, Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
2003- 2007 Commissioner, Civil Service Commission
2001-2003 External Relations and Mobilization Director, Ministry of Capacity Building
2000-2000 Justice System Reform Program Co-director, Ministry of Capacity Building
1999-2001 Head of the Civil Cases Dept., the Ministry of Justice
1997-1999 Senior Prosecutor, Ministry of Justice
1993-1997 Judge/Senior Judge, Public Service Commission
1992-1993 Legal Service Head, Meher Fibre Products Company
1989-1992 Pleader, National Textiles Corporation
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Business & Investment Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Financing
- Power & Energy
- English and Amharic
- Acting for the International Finance Cooperation (IFC) in connection with the Scaling Solar Project aimed at generating 500MW solar energy.
- Acting for MTN in its participation on Ethio-telecom’s operational license bid beginning from submitting the bid and in every further procedure of tendering.
- Acting for ENEL Green Power (ENEL) in its bid for the 100 MW Metehara Solar Photovoltaic Electricity Generating Facility Project (Project) as issued by the Ethiopian Electric Power.
- Assisting one of the world’s leading food and beverage companies in acquiring a stake in one of the biggest Ethiopian soft drink manufacturing companies in Ethiopia
- Acting for TetraTech, an American consulting firm, in relation to the implementation of the Power Africa project.
- Acting for Heineken Breweries in its investments and on-going transactions, including foreign exchange matters, in Ethiopia.
- Advising the Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation in the drafting of the Public Private Partnership Policy and Proclamation.
- Member of the task force in charge of revising the Ethiopian investment proclamation and upcoming regulation.
- National consultant for Ethiopian Investment Commission (EIC) to draft an amendment to the previous investment proclamation and industrial park regulation.
- Acting for BASF, largest chemical producer in the world, in relation to setting up a manufacturing plant in Ethiopia.
- Acting for or advising Goldman Sachs, Standard Chartered, Morgan Stanley, China Development Bank, China EXIM Bank, CAD Fund, ICICI, IDA South Africa,
- Acting for Petroleum Group Limited for China-Africa Fund for Industrial Cooperation in connection with carrying out a legal due diligence report and advising on Ethiopian oil and natural gas sector.
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC), Deloitte, KPMG, Samsung Africa, Mastercard and Natixis on their banking, finance and project financing transactions in Ethiopia.
- Advising Yara Dallol B.V, Dalberg, Elite Agro in relation to a prospect of incorporating a new Company in Ethiopia
- Facilitating the SAB Miller and AB InBev merger notification and approval at the Ethiopian Trade Competition and Consumer Protection Authority.
- Advising Abyssinia integrated steel on the preferable ways of transferring a business with depth comparison of sale of shares and assets from legal and regulatory perspectives
- Acting for YARA, Newmont Corp., Allana Potash Corp, Israel Chemical Ltd, Sheba Exploration Ltd. (Centamin), Stratex East Africa Ltd., Kefi Minerals, Marathon Oils, Ethio-Potash Corporation, Gemfields, NovaPotash Plc, Schulumberger, Fura Gems, Vale on their mining and exploration transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Frigorifico Boran Foods Plc, Export Trading Group, KBA Metal Print, Kanoria Chemicals and Industries, Universal Plastic, Axreal Group, Oxford Group, Godrej in connection with their manufacturing businesses in Ethiopia.
- Acting for the Vasari group, Veris Investments, 54 Capital, the Abraaj Group, Shultz Global Investments, Essilor Middle East Ltd., IFFCO Group, Zoscales Partners and in connection with their various merger and acquisition transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG) and European Investment Bank (EIB in connection with their potential Investment in an Ethiopian technology company.
- Acting for Starwood Hotels, Hilton Worldwide, Four Seasons on their investments in the tourism and hospitality sectors in Ethiopia.
- Advice FSD in connection with the available options to have a legal presence in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Highlights Trading in connection with funding, loan arrangement and prospect of incorporation of a new Company
- Advising a foreign construction consultant on potential dispute in connection with non-performance of a contract by a government authority in Ethiopia.
- Representing Wilmar International in investment and corporate advisory and court proceedings.
- Representing Senselet Food processing before a Tax Appeal Commission in connection with import duty imposition based on inaccurate classification of inputs for its products.
- Representing C54/Blue Bird before an arbitration tribunal in connection with a shareholder’s loan dispute
- Acting for Consta Joint Venture, Pamela steel on a litigation in a court of law